Moving Society Forward
IPMA is a Federation of about 70 Member Associations (MAs). Our MAs develop project management competencies in their geographic areas of influence, interacting with thousands of practitioners and developing relationships with corporations, government agencies, universities and colleges, as well as training organizations and consulting companies.
Our Vision: IPMA is the leading authority on competent project, programme and portfolio management (PPPM). Through our efforts, PM best practice is widely known and appropriately applied at all levels of public and private sector organizations.
IPMA History: IPMA is the World’s first project management association, founded in 1965. Our national associations collaborate to advance our profession’s achievements in project and business success. Evidence of our strategic vision, our prior name was INTERNET, which we changed to IPMA, International Project Management Association, in the early 1970s.
How We Run IPMA. IPMA is member-driven, and volunteer-staffed. Our IPMA boards and Member Associations are filled with experienced project management practitioners. As a geographically-distributed organization, we collaborate on an ongoing basis, holding board and council meetings regularly around the World. This “collaborate globally, serve locally” approach to serving PPPM is unique to IPMA.
Answers: Our Federation style of organization does raise questions. Our member-driven decentralization differs from other, top-down organizations. Our governance structure, with decision-making at the national level, is a great strength in serving local needs, while moving forward the practice of competent project and programme management.
IPMA actively promotes competence in project management for individuals, project teams, businesses, organisations and government agencies around the World. To increase the recognition and effectiveness of the profession, we:
- Certify project managers in a wide range of specific roles,
- Seek to highlight, improve and increase the behavioural and contextual competences of all project and programme stakeholders, a key prerequisite to initiative success,
- Recognise and Award excellent and successful project teams, research projects, and individuals,,
- Assess and certify the PM maturity of entire organizations,
- Support basic and advanced PM education and learning,
- Acknowledge and further develop the performance competence of emerging young professionals, and
- Offer distinctive and useful project management publications.
IPMA Growing, Moving Forward
IPMA has spread from Europe to Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Australia, and North and South America. The demand for our products and services and the number of our Member Associations is steadily growing. Through IPMA, project management practitioners from all cultures and all parts of the world can network, share ideas, and move our practice and our stakeholders forward through effective collaboration and cooperation.